Wednesday, June 13, 2007


SHOWER AT THE TOWER

6/12: And we needed a shower after a few days on the RV (ha). I have to admit there was a little Close Encounters déjà vu when we got to Devil’s Tower. Team Slome, with their fortitude as usual, braved the elements (hooded jackets and all) to see this very abnormal looking mountain formation standing 5,100 feet tall. The story goes that an Indian girl drank some bear potion, turned into a bear, and then went on an attempted killing rampage of her sisters. Magical buffalo came to the rescue of the siblings by placing the kids on a flat rock that grew into the sky. In an effort to kill the siblings, the bear /sister clawed her way along the sides of the mountain, thus forming Devil’s Tower. I may have gotten some of the story points wrong, but I think you get the gist.

In the spirit of a bear story, I can attest to the fact that today was a ‘bear’ of a travel day as well. Although the cross-state mountainous drive across Wyoming afforded us incredible views of towering bluffs, magnificent lakes, and picturesque river valleys – nonetheless spending 10+ hours maneuvering the Beast through hairpin turns accompanied by screaming kids dampened the splendor a tad.

Tomorrow we’ll cruise around the Grand Tetons and surrounding lakes before heading to Yellowstone. ‘Til next time…

***Guzzle-meter = $704.32 (I can feel Al Gore cringing, but we’re only 4 days in)

P.S. Late posting because no WiFI connection at the Grand Tetons RV Campground.

2 comments:

Poppa and Grandma said...

Great picture of the tower. That is something that we did not get to see. So glad that we get to see it "through your eyes".

marymiyoshi said...

I'm only just catching up on reading your blog. I love it! Quickly becoming my daily ritual! I love the photos and the fun stories. And as for the "puppet woman" - from one creative soul to the next - you GO Robina! If I was there, I'm sure I'd be joining in on the puppeteering! The tower looks amazing - you really make me want to go see everything! Maybe even travelling on an rv? The guzzle meter is my favorite! Ye-OUCH!